Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Moving Right Along

Okay so here we are; one week closer to deadline and nowhere near finished.
Have no fear. This is normal.

Meanwhile I thought I would show you guys what the office looks like, (or at least my desk).
If you look carefully you may actually see the covers for the next two issues.

It often amazes me about this process how every three months it gets to this point in the process and we are always miles away from being ready to go to print, but somehow we always make it.
Well to be honest it usually involves a few through-nights for my sub and I as we go through final checks - a film-set term meaning it's the last chance for the make-up and costume departments to faff over their assigned actors before the cameras start rolling.
This basically involves going through every single page of the magazine and checking that the issue date is correct, that the correct fonts have been used, that all the images are the correct resolution, that all the author's and artist's names have been correctly spelt and that the contents page actually points to the correct corresponding page numbers.
Let me tell you, it ain't fun.

Of course we are actually nowhere near final checks yet.
At this stage we are still receiving last minute articles, working out page-length and looking for advertising.
We still got a long way to go yet, but the good news is Issue 3 is looking fantastic, we have got some awesome articles, interviews prizes and of course a bunch of really great stories and art.
I'll keep you posted.

For now I'm sinking my teeth into the new John Connolly book The Unquiet which I picked up yesterday from the publisher. It's looking damn good so far.
We've also got the new Garth Nix which my sub is taking a chunk out of. (we'll swap over later)
Anyway keep writing and check back soon for the Issue 3 cover!
See ya Later.

3 comments:

Tamarai said...

Hey Joe

Thanks for letting us in behind the scenes! Best of luck for the next issue. You have fans!

Savvy - Young Business Club said...

Hey JosyPooh,

just a quick technical note, can you change the images to _blank so that the images pop-up instead of _self? I ended up closing the blog a few times until i realised that the image was replacing the site...just a little usability note from your webdesigner friend up north :)

Lurve ya stuff dude and good luck

Joe said...

Thanks for the tip, have implemented it.
Blogger is quite annoying in that sense, it dumps a whole bunch of info in to image tags.