Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Something Wicked Palaver

So new year, new headaches.
For those of you unaware the above is the name of the quarterly horror fiction magazine I publish.
It's been running for 8 months now (2 Issues) has been garnering a great response from the South African creative community.

Unfortunately there seems to be little or no financing available for it so the last 8 months have been a constant headache and siphoning of my bank account just to keep the thing afloat.

So as I sit here two weeks before the print-deadline of Issue 3 I'm feeling a little disheartened.
We have managed to get the most awesome Issue together, our Stephen King Issue, including signed giveaways and other great prizes.

The wonderful John Connolly has donated an interview with King himself and things are looking phenomenal, with that one annoying exception.
no cash.
no print-run.

bugger.
Anyway, I'm sure something will come up, it always does, somehow :o)

In other, more positive news, I recently came across an old magazine called Skeleton Crew which I had completely forgotten about and yet somehow it had burnt a hole into my subconscious because, visually at least, I had modelled Something Wicked on its design.
Strange.
So I went ahead and bought 4 back issues from milehighcomics and they finally arrived today. So I'm looking forward to an evening of good old periodical reading.

check you later.

Don't forget to check out our brand new podcast, Something Wicked presents... check the links on the right.

2 comments:

Savvy - Young Business Club said...

Hey dude, just another mindless ramble to add to the pile, but how about asking for donations? I am willing take a bet that almost everyone who buys and reads the mag is a fan and believes in what you doing and would be more than happy to make a few donations every now and then? I know i would...why dont you set up a Paypal account, put the word out there and see what happens?

I have my credit card ready and waiting and my best philanthropic boots on...

Joe said...

I'd love to, but Paypal doesn't offer that particular service for people with SA Bank Accounts.
There is a Donate Link on the Something Wicked Website, if you're really feeling philantropic :o)