Friday, March 16, 2007

On-Set Visitations

Just got back from an on-set visit to director Neil Marshall's (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) new movie Doomsday.
A friend is doing some interviews for Fangoria Magazine and took me along to work the camera.
You can probably guess from the time this post was made that it was a night shoot, in fact the cast and crew's final night-shoot after 5 weeks straight.

What a blast, and I do mean blast, my ears are still ringing from the explosions and gun fire. I can't tell you much but I can tell you it looks great and so does Boston Legal's Rhona Mitra.

I asked Rhona if she was enjoying her stay in Cape Town, "I've been here since November so I practically live here." She grinned.
"I've been to many beautiful places, but no matter how beautiful the place is, you always miss home. But not here. I live in L.A. so I have the view and the weather but there's just something about Cape Town. I have the sea here, I have the view, I have my dog so it's very tempting to stay," and was then called back to set.

We even got to meet Sean Pertwee (Event Horizon, Dog Soldiers), son of classic Doctor Who, Jon Pertwee. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take any pictures and were sworn to secrecy, but here is a snippet from totalfilm.com

... a futuristic tale of a country ravaged by a deadly virus known as the Reaper. The infection was so severe and the devastation so total that the entire country was walled off to protect the rest of the world. But when a strain of the killer bug arrives in a neighbouring territory, a crack team (led by Mitra) is dispatched to the original outbreak site to try and track down a cure. Naturally, the mission does not go well and we can expect plenty of blood and gore.
Marshall likes to stick with his cast and crew from film to film and most of the principal cast have worked with him before which contributes to a wonderfully familial environment on set.
And there is always something wonderfully endearing about grown men getting excited about blood and gore.

All in all it looks like a hell of a fun movie. Explosions, screaming hordes, unbelievably loud gunfire, (and tons of it too), Doomsday is set to thrill fans of Marshall's work and hopefully garner some new ones too.

Well, it's off to bed for me, I have a magazine to finish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.